Let’s meet the engineers and schools taking part…
Sarah Hunt | Rolls-Royce PLC
I design parts for aeroplane engines and model them to calculate how long they will last in an engine – they are made from really special materials called ‘single crystals’.
Masha Folk | Cambridge University
I try to make jet engines eat less fuel by making the turbine inside work better.
Mark Catherall | Canopy Simulations
I simulate Formula 1 cars so that we can predict what the best design and setup will be for each race.
Leon Wechie | Leeds University
Finding out whether chemical oils and a material surface like one another, and exploring why and just how intimate their relationship is.
Dominique Anderson | Science Technology Facilities Council
Making motors move with software.
Andrei Ilie | Jaguar Land Rover
I make sure that cars can be put together from lots of tiny parts and write the instructions needed to do that; its kind of like putting Lego together.
- Arbroath Academy, Arbroath
- Arbroath High School, Arbroath
- Bebington High Sports College, Merseyside
- Herne Bay High School, Kent
- Horbury Academy, Yorkshire
- Howell’s School, Cardiff
- Loreto Grammar School, Cheshire
- Notre Dame High School, Glasgow
- Oxford High School GDST, Oxfordshire
- St Paul’s Academy, London
- Standish Community High School, Lancashire
- Stockley Academy, Hillingdon
- Surrey Square Primary School, London
- The Cornelius Vermuyden School, Essex
- The Ridgeway School & Sixth Form College, Wiltshire
- Woodchurch High School, Merseyside
This zone is funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering.